Sunday, February 21, 2010

The Cheever Arms Pt.1

by Kaity B

Nick dropped his workbag in the front hall and took in the still unfamiliar entryway. Norah's touch had already taken over. Never would Nick have dreamed that his apartment would hold fresh cut flowers and table runners instead of four-month-old Sports Illustrated and leftovers from the restaurant.
Well, at least they smelled okay.
He kicked off his shoes and made his way toward the kitchen where he could smell another of Norah's delicious home cooked meals. He didn't miss cooking for himself. Various pots on the stove bubbled and simmered with an array of dishes. Norah must be hungry tonight because there was enough food to feed both of them for three days. Her lesson plans were strewn across the small round table and a pile of half graded homework sat in front of one of the chairs, Norah was nowhere to be seen.
Nick wandered through the next doorway into the living room, another area Norah had instantly attacked with paint swatches and bolts of fabric. And bookshelves, filled with Norah's books and binders holding research and notes. One corner was saved for Nick. It held several magazines and a small collection of comic books that he had refused to let Norah throw away; despite the fact he hadn't touched them in years. He couldn't let her change everything. He could hear her in the bedroom, on the phone from the sound of it.
"No. It'll be done when you get here. And don't bring anything, I've got it all," she was saying, "Be here in an hour, okay? Love you too. Bye."
"Who was that? Your other boyfriend? Should I leave before he gets here?" asked Nick.
Norah grinned at him, "Yeah, you better go… Actually Mom and Dad are coming over for dinner… Surprise?" and offered a sheepish smile.
Nick grimaced. Norah's mother was very up-front about her hope that Norah would find herself a nice Italian boy while her father sat back and scowled. Nick and his mixed nationality were below her in their eyes.
"I know, I'm sorry, I told them to be nice, " she paused, "well, Mom said 'Don't be silly, we're always nice!' but I think she got the point and Dad's on some kind of painkiller that makes him a little loopy so maybe he won't even remember how to frown tonight."
"Oh, right, or he'll forget how to restrain himself and break my face," Nick sighed and looked at Norah, "Well, I guess you're worth it, you cook pretty well, and you're damn fine," he said with a teasing grin and Norah laughed.
"Keep that up and see where it gets you. Go ahead," she said as she giggled. She paused, "What time is – Shit!" and ran towards the kitchen.
Nick followed behind her. Midway through the living room the fire alarm in the front hall began sounding, making his ears ring. He found Norah in the kitchen removing a very blackened lump in a pan from the oven.
"Crap," she said.
"You know they're going to blame this on me right?" said Nick.
Norah smiled at him, "Yup, and I'm going to let them, after all you were the one who came in and started chatting me up… Damn fine indeed," she sniffed at him.
Nick smirked, and in a very convincing accent said, "This is what you get for not dating an Italian boy, a fannullone who can't cook!" and they snickered at each other.
It was going to be an interesting night.

6 comments:

Kaity said...

Don't really love it. But its not awful for a first draft written on a very uninspiring day..

Writers' Craft Class Website said...

Thanks for sharing. There's much to like here. Great details, too.

timlucier said...

Loving the detail. Whats a fannullone?
Thanks for sharing!

Kaity said...

Its an Italian term for a lazy bum.

Sara said...

I love the teasing of the characters, it makes their relationship very believable. Maybe add a little physical contact to further this?

Kaity said...

Yeah, I was thinking that but I figured I'd stop before I over did it and get some feed back first. Thanks:)

Post a Comment